Oklahoma Competitive Soccer Forum
The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help me grow the forum!
Soccer Headgear Pixel
Statistics
We have 466 registered users
The newest registered user is Drmorgan554

Our users have posted a total of 6876 messages in 411 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Soccer Headgear

5 posters

Go down

Soccer Headgear Empty Soccer Headgear

Post by BASoccer Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Anyone have any experience with the latest gear, and how effective are they for things like headers?

Daughter played in a tournament this past weekend, and we saw a girl wearing headgear with a braided ponytail pulled through the back. Think it was a Full90 product. She thought it looked pretty good and said she'd be willing to wear one, which as a defender I'd be happy to see (she's 12). Was looking at something like the Full90 Premier, but I know there are others out there (Storelli, etc).

I recall some research a few years back that came to the conclusion that the current soccer headgear equipment did little to reduce concussions. My thought on that is while it may not prevent concussions from violent collisions with other players, it would at least diminish ball impact from light to moderate headers.

I've also heard that headgear can make a player feel less vulnerable to injury, so they actually get more aggressive in their play and end up injured anyway. Apparently neck exercises can help reduce concussions as well.

What do you guys think? Seems like the opinion of many who have worn them believe they provide at least some form of cushion for headers.

BASoccer

Back to top Go down

Soccer Headgear Empty Re: Soccer Headgear

Post by 05GKdad_Tulsa Mon May 09, 2016 2:56 am

My son (05/06) plays GK. So he can wear the full rugby style headgear. He feels that the headgear does protect him when going up for balls in the box.

My daughter (03/04) wears a halo type headgear when she is in field, and also in basketball. It's not too bad she says, but I think it only gives false confidence in being protected.

My $0.02: don't feel that the field players are protected enough by any of the headgear I've seen for sale on-line or in Tulsa stores.
05GKdad_Tulsa
05GKdad_Tulsa

Back to top Go down

Post by The Soccer 1% Mon May 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Goalies should wear it. I never think it hurts for any player to wear headgear. Even if the difference is minimal, it's a difference.

The Soccer 1%

Back to top Go down

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon May 09, 2016 4:37 pm

My DD tried it and hates it. Most studies I have seen is that head gear has little benefit in these ages. I look at it this way. The ball hits the head gear the brain still rattles in its cage. Thats bad. Ball hits kids in younger ages in head and causes whip lash mechanism to the neck and head. Still bad. Don't know the answer but find the efficacy of headgear highly questionable.

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by redcard Mon May 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Agree!! Research shows that it doesnt help. The only way I can see it helping is in a case of a collision of heads which might soften the hit.

redcard

Back to top Go down

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm

redcard wrote:Agree!! Research shows that it doesnt help. The only way I can see it helping is in a case of a collision of heads which might soften the hit.
agree. Its more of the mechanism of heading the ball. I believe (and have been) very patient pushing my DD to head the ball. I want to see strength in her neck and body and a willingness to go head the ball instead of letter the ball head her. I see too many kids at 10 - 13 heading the ball improperly but being encouraged by coaches to do this. Just because a kid allows a ball to hit her in the head does not equate to property mechanics and in my mind is damaging at these young ages. I for one am glad of the new heading recommendations by USYS

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by redcard Mon May 09, 2016 5:15 pm

It's scary!!! My DD loves to head the ball. Thankfully, she has been taught the correct way. I have mixed feelings on the rule. There are reasons for it such as heading off punts. Totally, support that. Otherwise, not sure I do. Time will tell whether it helps. My DD will be an 04 next year so it doesnt really effect her.

redcard

Back to top Go down

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon May 09, 2016 6:12 pm

agree. Punts are my major issue. Can be very dangerous. A kid who can really drive a ball at 12 can also create dangerous heading situations on a corner. That said, the probability of a U11 - U13 kid heading it perfectly timed on a corner is probably less than 10%

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by redcard Mon May 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Very true.

redcard

Back to top Go down

Post by BASoccer Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for the responses.

She tried the Full90 at Mac's and didn't like it.

I heard a few people liked the Storelli brand better, but no one sells them in Tulsa stores. However, we played a tournament up in Overland Park a few weeks ago, and they had a local store with the Storelli headgear. She liked the fit a lot more, and at least if we decide to get one, we know what size she needs.

BASoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum