Oklahoma Competitive Soccer Forum
The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help me grow the forum!
Unity soccer club Pixel
Statistics
We have 466 registered users
The newest registered user is Drmorgan554

Our users have posted a total of 6876 messages in 411 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Unity soccer club

+16
ousoccer
SSD2004
Soccerabe
misfit31
Mj2944
TSCSOCCERDAD
fanaticdad03
BUSTER1227
Sparky
Jace
Rico S
longball
soccerschmuck
oksoccer
ENERGYFC04
05GKdad_Tulsa
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Unity soccer club Empty Unity soccer club

Post by 05GKdad_Tulsa Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Noticed that they had 2 teams in OPL 8v8 & same 2 teams in OCL.

Any ideas why/how?
05GKdad_Tulsa
05GKdad_Tulsa

Back to top Go down

Unity soccer club Empty Re: Unity soccer club

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:44 pm

It was a mistake. They have two teams playing OPL 8 v 8. This is an issue OSA should address in IMO. Both Unity and TriCities are letting rec teams come in and play under their competitive banners. This team is actually formerly the Yukon Luna Chix formerly the Yukon Cosmos. I dislike that rec coaches are allowed to pool this and promise these kids that "they can do all the big clubs do." As most competitive parents know this is not the case. I don't even know if these coaches are licensed. It really sucks for CVFC.

This rec team has 3-5 kids that would have a shot at playing at the big clubs. However, the longer they have stayed with rec the farther they are falling behind from a skill and knowledge standpoint. My personal belief is these kids would flourish in OFC, SLSC or Norman's club systems. That said, they are not going anywhere.

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by oksoccer Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:34 pm

Well that make two loses in one week to rec teams for TSC Harding. Ouch!

oksoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerschmuck Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 am

Is this the team from yukon that plays a lot of 3v3 and has a couple of dads as coaches? If so I agree they have 2-3 girls that could play for one of the true competitive clubs but in another year or two they will not have much of a chance to make a 1st team. Parents do yourself a favor and turn loose. Let them go play for a qualified coach at OFC or Southlakes before it is to late. All parents coaches have to let them go at some point. Dont learn the hard way like others have and wait to long. You are just hurting your daughter.

soccerschmuck

Back to top Go down

Post by longball Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 am

I do not know anything about this rec team, but what if their coach is qualified? You never know, maybe he/she is a soccer guru. I guess they could just have faster/stronger girls and play kickball, but if they moved the ball and won I would not feel much pressure to move anywhere.

And when you used the phrase turn loose referring to a Club, I immediately thought of a checkbook. Very Happy

longball

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico S Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:20 pm

SLSC04 wrote:  I dislike that rec coaches are allowed to pool this and promise these kids that "they can do all the big clubs do."  As most competitive parents know this is not the case.   I don't even know if these coaches are licensed.

While I totally agree that a coach of a rec team cannot  "do what all that the big clubs do"   I absolutely think if a rec team is good enough to compete with the big clubs' teams, then more power to them!  Let them come.  

And from my experience, the love affair with the 'big clubs", and in particular "licensed coaches" is way over done.  On the east side at least, there are tons of licensed academy coaches that are flat out awful....terrible!  It is truly sad that so many parents pay so much for such lousy training/coaching.   While a good rec coach is usually quite rare, there are those that I have seen that are substantially better than what the big clubs are providing....especially for the 2nd and 3rd tier teams.  Perhaps the Unity coach is one of those coaches.  They competed well in Beat the Heat and beat a Harding team that is most certainly not bad.

Anyway, I agree that the top girls on those teams will eventually find more success at the bigger clubs, simply b/c the player pool is bigger and they will be able to play with better players, but I do not necessarily think that the coach is doing those girls a disservice at this point.

Rico S

Back to top Go down

Post by 05GKdad_Tulsa Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 pm

On east side of state in 04 girls, 2 rec teams linked up with Bixby Sheffield United in 2014- same thing...maybe their girls/families want something different than what the big clubs provide ($, time commitment, coaching, ability to stay with friends, etc).

As long as the girls are enjoying themselves (having fun is debatable) & want to keep doing it, I say let them have it. Girls/families will see soon enough that they need to change to a different club/ level if they want something else.
05GKdad_Tulsa
05GKdad_Tulsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jace Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course; but when people make blanket statements like this to the potential detriment of a team trying to stay together it aggravates me.  You guys can't honestly believe (I hope) that every coach in competitive is automatically going to be better than every coach in rec.  I've never seen a licensing class that teaches instincts.

Additionally, as a parent coach I have had most of my girls since they were either 6 or 7 and I love them as if they were my own.  They hang out with my daughter which means occasionally they're forced to hang out with me too which enriches our relationship and has positive effects on and off the pitch.  On top of that they are learning good fundamental soccer and developing exceptionally well (U9 team by the way).  

It would really suck to spend 30 hours a week preparing and countless hours over the years in practice and individual sessions just to lose one of my girls because someone told her parents "No matter what the coaching and team will definitely be better if you go to TSC".

I know the grass is always greener and all that but there is one other thing you do need to consider.  I have scouted more rec, academy, and competitive games than I would like to admit (please don't tell my wife) and I can tell you there are some excellent rec teams out there.  If they had the liberties in practice frequency, playing time restrictions, and roster size that the competitive teams enjoy they would be right there with them.  I know firsthand the only reason many of them stay rec or rec+ is because if they go to one of the "big clubs" their team is going to be cannibalized.

Jace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:19 pm

I totally agree. There are some rec and rec plus teams that would dominate lower level and some higher level competetive teams.

Sparky

Back to top Go down

Post by BUSTER1227 Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I also agree there are some great rec teams out there, with both great coaches and players. The unfortunate things for the players on these teams is that if they have aspirations of playing past high school is that the chances of them getting seen and talked about by ANY college are few and far between. There are always exceptions. As a rec coach with 1-2 great players who could possibly have an oportunity to play at the next level, and knowing this, what should your course of action be? If you look at most colleges with soccer programs rosters, close to all there players have an affiliation with a club/club team. As a coach its always "team above individual" or at least it should be but sometimes the "Rec Coach" needs to look at the bigger picture if one of his or her players could succeed farther by being on a club team. 9 times out of 10 you as the players coach are responsible for the players ability/skills and should be somewhat flattered that they are getting the attention.

BUSTER1227

Back to top Go down

Post by fanaticdad03 Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Is it true that some competitive teams might be able to compete at lower levels of competitive soccer? Yes. However, this is the exception not the rule. The rule is your daughter will be a better player and have more opportunities if she goes and plays on a club team (when I refer to club teams in Oklahoma I'm limiting it to TSC, Blitz, OFC, Norman and SLSC for this argument).

In my experience good recreational teams stay together for 4 reasons.

1. Loyalty
2. Friendship
3. Coach who can't let go and wants to coach his DD.
4. Financial.

Loyalty and friendships are great attributes. However, if they are predicated on being on a soccer team are they really your friends? Fun is another; however you can have fun wherever you play. Financial is always a consideration but most clubs have assistance for individuals in need. That said, if you have a DD that is a good athlete and wants to play on a good high school team and/or beyond high school you are doing a disservice by keeping her on a rec team. Both from a development and understanding of the game.

IMO, the rule is most rec coaches want to keep players beyond U9 because it serves them and or their daughter. Most good rec teams have 3 - 4 good athletes that carry the other players. Many coaches will lie cheat and steal to keep these players. Contrast this with the better club teams who put 11 good athletes and fundamentally soccer players on the field at the same time. Which one is better for your DD?

I'm sure this offends some people. Some should be offended as they may be the exception to the rule. That said, when it comes to my DD best interests, I put her above the team. I'm solely responsible for her development. I can't control the other children or parents. I recognize the balance that must be played but in the end I view it my responsibility to give her the tools she needs to succeed in life and the sport she loves.

Example, recreational soccer is like going to a Junior college. There are lots of good junior colleges. Playing at a major club (ie TSC, Blitz, OFC, Norman, SLSC in Oklahoma IMO) are like going to an Ivy league school or major university. Would you deny your daughter the opportunity to attend an Ivy League school and the opportunities they provide your DD versus a junior college?

Now let the bashing begin. I know some will be offended. Recreational soccer has its place. However, its place is not on par with competitive soccer if your DD wants to get better.

fanaticdad03

Back to top Go down

Post by BUSTER1227 Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Recreational soccer has its place. However, its place is not on par with competitive soccer if your DD wants to get better. wrote:
Agree

BUSTER1227

Back to top Go down

Post by TSCSOCCERDAD Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Coaches coaching U11 competitive OPL have to carry at least a national D license. Wonder how many rec coaches bringing in teams meet this requirement?

TSCSOCCERDAD

Back to top Go down

Post by fanaticdad03 Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I think it goes beyond licenses . The club's provide continuing education to their coaches and typically have a director of coaching and other directors who help oversee, provide mentoring and share advice as to practice plans, players and overall playing style. They offer additional specialized training. Most importantly, they offer the opportunity for your DD to play with like skilled players who can challenge her every practice and game to get better. 99% of recreational teams (U10 and on) have a wide disparity from their best player to their worst. Both from ability and knowledge of the game. How does that help their best player? Wouldn't she be better suited to play on a team with like skilled players?

I'm sorry, but I don't get the mindset. If you want to play serious soccer and give your daughter an opportunity to be a good player when she enters high school, you need to go to a big club and play academy or competitive. Given the nature of soccer in 2014 (my view may have been different in 2000) if your DD wants to play seriously get her to the right club.

fanaticdad03

Back to top Go down

Post by 05GKdad_Tulsa Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:53 am

Looks like these 2 teams are playing tomorrow at Cosmos Cup.
05GKdad_Tulsa
05GKdad_Tulsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mj2944 Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:12 am

Here is a link to the current standing for the Cosmo Cup.

http://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=40325&GroupID=394703&Gender=Girls&Age=11

Mj2944

Back to top Go down

Post by misfit31 Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 am

As someone who knows the coaches of these teams,  I can assure you that these kids are getting every bit the coaching that the surrounding "competitive" programs are currently putting out. Part of the problem with parents today is,  they are smart enough to realize that if you aren't on a first team, or second team at a larger club, you are paying for basically every level "rec" coaching. Second and third teams are just the to put money in the bank for the clubs,  and the development of those kids is NOBODY'S priority. I currently have two kids that are 03's, and could play on any West side 1st team, my reason for keeping then on a top 5 in the state "rec" team,  is that their coach holds a license and gives these kids what they need.  As they get older, u14/16, they will transition into competitive soccer with very little problem,  because they are now being exposed to a variety of positions and situations. In club soccer,  each was stuck in a position (keeper and midfield  for both) and never any exposure to the other positions on the field.  

As someone who had been in this for 5 years now,  and seen rec players receiving multiple scholarship offers to division 1 schools as well as lower level schools, I completely disagree that club is the only way to get noticed. People on this side know who my kids are, and we are approached at every tournament about going toa club team.

Btw, unity won the silver side of the cosmos cup, proving a good quality rec team is no worse generally, than a second tier club team.

misfit31

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerabe Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 am

I just looked on the states D1 soccer websites. I saw kids listed from Dallas solar, Tsc, FC Dallas, OFC, top clubs outside the state. I didn't see anybody listed from the raccoons or cheetah girls, that was developed by Vicki's dad in a rec program. It would be a great story please list the D1 colleges so We can verify. I'd love to save some $$....my experience would be opposite private lessons, top coaches, top comp teams etc still doesn't guarantee success but it definitely helps.

Soccerabe

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerschmuck Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Been around the game for years. NEVER seen a Rec player get a DI scholarship, I can't even think of a time a Rec player got any scholarship of merit to any school.

Also, only on very, very, rare occasions has a girl came from Rec at the age of
U14 or older and made any competaitive team worth anything.

I am sorry misfit31, but what you are saying is not reality.

I would also like for you to provide any examples of Rec player receiving a scholarship.

soccerschmuck

Back to top Go down

Post by TSCSOCCERDAD Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:31 pm

misfit31 wrote:As someone who knows the coaches of these teams,  I can assure you that these kids are getting every bit the coaching that the surrounding "competitive" programs are currently putting out. Part of the problem with parents today is,  they are smart enough to realize that if you aren't on a first team, or second team at a larger club, you are paying for basically every level "rec" coaching. Second and third teams are just the to put money in the bank for the clubs,  and the development of those kids is NOBODY'S priority. I currently have two kids that are 03's, and could play on any West side 1st team, my reason for keeping then on a top 5 in the state "rec" team,  is that their coach holds a license and gives these kids what they need.  As they get older, u14/16, they will transition into competitive soccer with very little problem,  because they are now being exposed to a variety of positions and situations. In club soccer,  each was stuck in a position (keeper and midfield  for both) and never any exposure to the other positions on the field.  

As someone who had been in this for 5 years now,  and seen rec players receiving multiple scholarship offers to division 1 schools as well as lower level schools, I completely disagree that club is the only way to get noticed. People on this side know who my kids are, and we are approached at every tournament about going toa club team.

Btw, unity won the silver side of the cosmos cup, proving a good quality rec team is no worse generally, than a second tier club team.
I enjoyed your post right up until the part where you tried to validate your points with Unity winning a SMALL, 8-SIDED, SILVER DIVISION tournamnet. Why didn't you play gold? Sorry that was a rethorical question, I already know the answer. Do yourself a favor. Next year go the Plano Labor Day tournament, Play 11v11 in the GOLD division.

TSCSOCCERDAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico S Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 pm

TSCSOCCERDAD wrote:
misfit31 wrote:
I enjoyed your post right up until the part where you tried to validate your points with Unity winning a SMALL, 8-SIDED, SILVER DIVISION tournamnet. Why didn't you play gold? Sorry that was a rethorical question, I already know the answer. Do yourself a favor. Next year go the Plano Labor Day tournament, Play 11v11 in the GOLD division.

Misfit said a lot of things with which to take issue, but this is not one of them.  He is saying a good rec team can compete and win vs 2nd tier club teams--and Unity has done that.  He didn't say that a good rec team is going compete with Top North Texas club teams...sheesh.   Your pointing out that he isn't playing in the gold division or playing 11 v 11 smacks of more big club, chest pounding bravado--and has nothing to do with his point.

Go off on the D1 scholarship claim, take issue with the U14/U16 sliding easily from rec to competitive claim, or disagree with the the contention that 2nd tier club teams don't provide good development situations---but the "Go play 11 v 11 gold division in North Texas" and then we'll talk mentality is frankly, retarded.

Rico S

Back to top Go down

Post by misfit31 Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:08 pm

As I said, a top 5 in the state "rec" team can and has competed with second tier competitive teams. Things like von taking the Luna chix to unity to be a club team is not new. The 03 cosmos from yukon went to nokc/ofc. The 00 shooting stars are now a club team out of ofc, mainly because, as a "rec" team, they were one of the best 00 girls teams in okc. Weatherford/Clinton had waffled between club and rec for years, and are usually quite good in rec, middle 2nd tier in club.

As for u14 girls playing club from rec and doing well, I know of between 5 and 8 kids right now, playing at South lakes, who were in rec last fall as u14s. They are now u16, and doing in the upper half of of players on their second team.

I also know of two girls, currently in ODP, who are not now, and never have, played in any club program.

misfit31

Back to top Go down

Post by SSD2004 Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:13 pm

So Luna Chix are at a club now? I have been waiting for that one. We used to play rec versus them in tournaments and they had some talent.

How are they listed so I can follow them? 04 Unity?

SSD2004

Back to top Go down

Post by TSCSOCCERDAD Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Rico S wrote:
TSCSOCCERDAD wrote:
misfit31 wrote:

Misfit said a lot of things with which to take issue, but this is not one of them.  He is saying a good rec team can compete and win vs 2nd tier club teams--and Unity has done that.  He didn't say that a good rec team is going compete with Top North Texas club teams...sheesh.   Your pointing out that he isn't playing in the gold division or playing 11 v 11 smacks of more big club, chest pounding bravado--and has nothing to do with his point.

Go off on the D1 scholarship claim, take issue with the U14/U16 sliding easily from rec to competitive claim, or disagree with the the contention that 2nd tier club teams don't provide good development situations---but the "Go play 11 v 11 gold division in North Texas" and then we'll talk mentality is frankly, retarded.
Your interpretation of his point! Not mine! He is trying to play at some sort of equality between rec/competitive using using point A/B/C then backing it up with less than a valid argument that I used my post to poke at. To say that your coaches and players are just as good and then start talking about second and third tier seems like talking out of both sides of your mouth. Besides play in a real tournament like beat the heat not the second rate Cosmos cup.

TSCSOCCERDAD

Back to top Go down

Post by 05GKdad_Tulsa Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Unity has 2 04g teams. I think that the white team is the former Luna Chix team...

TSCsoccerdad, they did play in beat the heat u11 8v8 gold. They actually tied TSC Amos 1-1 there. They've beaten TSC Harding in league play.

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=808598&History=yes&compact=
05GKdad_Tulsa
05GKdad_Tulsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next