Oklahoma Competitive Soccer Forum
The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The administrator of this forum has parked due to disinterest. If you are interested in getting going, text me at 860-880-0655 and I will happily turn over the admin account and domain to you for free.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help me grow the forum!
Question on GotSoccer Rankings Pixel
Statistics
We have 466 registered users
The newest registered user is Drmorgan554

Our users have posted a total of 6876 messages in 411 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Question on GotSoccer Rankings

5 posters

Go down

Question on GotSoccer Rankings Empty Question on GotSoccer Rankings

Post by NeverPlayedSoccer Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Let me preface with the fact that I fully understand ranking 11-12 year old girls is completely silly. I was just wondering how after State Cup we were 2nd behind Beatie and in front of Melton and all of a sudden we are now 3rd behind Melton. As far as I can tell, there haven't been any matches since the state cup that would have given Melton more points to jump us? Maybe I'm just missing something. According to GotSoccer, they played a round robin and got zero points in July and somehow jumped us into 2nd in the state?

Anyone out there on Beatie or Melton have any insight to how these rankings work? Just wondering, like I said, it's not that big of deal at all, just thought it odd that we got jumped out of the blue...

Thanks!

NeverPlayedSoccer

Back to top Go down

Question on GotSoccer Rankings Empty Re: Question on GotSoccer Rankings

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Gotsoccer rankings are useless in most seasons and especially now in light of age format changes. Some clubs started completely new gotsoccer accounts while others jumped and not jumped with various age groups. You want a real analysis of rankings check this sight.

http://youthsoccerrankings.us/

The owner of this system has a great comment as to the current state of rankings

"After considerable research I have found it is not possible to map teams from the 2015/16 season to the new 2016/17 teams in a meaningful or consistent way. Consequently all team histories prior to August 1st 2016 will be discarded and rankings will be based on games from that date.

It will take several months to establish enough results to publish a meaningful national ranking. Please check back in October."

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by FUBAR Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 pm

It is also my understanding that points in GotSoccer expire.

FUBAR

Back to top Go down

Post by ENERGYFC04 Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:48 pm

They do expire after a year. RIght now points are meaningless from last year. Take 04s. Lets say Blitz's 04 account stayed with their 04s, OFC took their 05's account, SLSC took their 05s account, Norman took their 05s account, TSC took their 04s. Who is what? Their is no commonality of opponents in tournaments or anything else. It would be nice to know but I suspect it will take a few months to figure out who is what.

ENERGYFC04

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverPlayedSoccer Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Cool. Thanks for the insight...

NeverPlayedSoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by 918soccer Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 pm

youthsoccerrankings.us is much more accurate but it will take them 1/2 of the season to accurately rank the new teams. Even then, not much value other than possibly seeing where your team is approximately positioned.

918soccer

Back to top Go down

Post by roots40 Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:33 am

The only reasonably accurate youth soccer rankings are at youthsoccerrankings.us

Those are computerized, not based on arbitrary "points" categories like GotSoccer.  I have watched them over the last year, and can't believe their accuracy, i.e. their power to predict the outcomes and point spreads of games.  The owner of the site has developed a great algorithm, and is able to draw data (almost in real time) from GotSoccer's database, and independent tournament and league sponsors.

These rankings are a valuable tool for tournament directors to "flight" their brackets appropriately, particularly for regional or national tournaments.  It's also helpful for coaches and parents to generally "size up" an unknown opponent in a regional tournament or new league setting.

That said, the site is dormant now because his model requires a critical mass of games against common opponents, etc., and Pure Age has required a reboot.  Keep watching it though, as it will get more and more accurate as the year progresses.

Just for fun though, you can still click on the link (bottom right) to the final rankings from last year.  I think you will be amazed by the accuracy (although sometimes Rec teams get ranked inappropriately)

roots40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down